The bass represents my first experience with Pete Skjold’s work, and I am very impressed. I have only seen photos of his basses in the past, and he does lay his hands on some very nice woods.
This bass passes tests #s 1&2 for me – playability and tone.
OK, to the woods first.
- The top is called Anigre , from Africa. I do not know if this top is natural or tinted , but it looks great with the Bloodwood fretboard
- The back of the body is Figured Cherry , and their is a Purpleheart tone plate
- The 35″ scale neck is 7 piedces, primarily Maple with Bubinga (I think) and Wenge runners
- Hipshot hardware all around
- The preamp is very cool, by John East with 3 band EQ with sweepable mids, active / passive and a 4 way pickup selector
On the way for this are a new set of custom knobs and a matching ramp (ordered before the bass came to market here) .
This bass is furnished with one of the nicest case I have seen in a while, and a Skjold 4″ leather strap – very comfy!