The Brace is a solid body single cut design by Ken Lawrence, arguably the best bass builder working today.
I say ” arguably” because I refrain from expressing such an opinion . There is no consensus best bass builder – each of us can merely choose our personal favorite – that opinion is valid.
Within the last few years most of Ken’s builds have been electric guitars based on the Explorer style guitars he has made for Metallica’s James Hetfield. As a consequence of these guitars’ popularity and Ken’s limited capacity to take on new orders, new basses have been hard to come by. My next three Lawrence basses are already ordered and they are expected in January 2014.
About this example :
- Mineral stained Birdseye Maple top and headcap
- Medium Weight Swamp Ash body ( 9lbs, 13oz. )
- 3 piece Eastern Maple neck with heavy duty dual action truss rod
- Grenadillo Heel Plate
- 100+ year old Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, pickup covers, detachable ramp, rear cover plate and truss rod cover
- Fibre-Optic / Mother of Pearl side position dots in amber , with on/off switch
- Mike Pope 4 band preamp with active/passive and mid frequency select switches
- Nordstrand hum-cancelling “J” pickups
- Custom KL control knobs
- Dunlop dual-function straplocks
- Oil and wax finish
- Hipshot bridge and tuners
- Estrella heavy duty gig bag
This is an incredibly versatile bass that can conjure both vintage and modern tones, passive and active. Lawrence basses are known for their supremely easy playability. Which is why I will always have one among my 3-4 keepers.
$8,470 is a lot of money for a bass , no doubt about it. How can a bass be that expensive ? Shop around and compare and PLAY as many basses as you can before you pass judgement on any bass. you can lay your hands. Then play a Lawrence to gain perspective. I have done just this the past 18 years and I can look you in the eye and tell you that Ken’s basses are a bargain and a great value.