Here is our 2nd such bass from Jerzy, one of two MIDI 6 string versions of this bass in the world. The Barcelona design is the result of a collaboration of two great artists, bassist Carles Benavent and luthier Jerzy Drozd. It is named after their beloved city.
- The 5 piece Maple / Wenge neck is 34″ scale
- The fretboard is Macassar Ebony; BTW, the fretboard on this example has NO Radius , like a true classical guitar (it is possible to order this bass with a 20″ radius neck, like Jerzy’s other models)
- The body is Spanish Cedar , the top Spruce
- This bass has more varied tones that I have ever heard in a passive bass
- The two magnetic pickups are Jerzy’s own split single coil design, and the piezo bridge pickups are by RMC
Good stuff. Tones range from jazz guitar like to acoustic guitar/bass. Right now I have this bass tuned EADGCF, hence the guitar reference. You might prefer BEADGC tuning – no problem. With the string-thru body feature, a low B comes thru strong.
You want more tone possibilities ? Go MIDI. I have a Roland VBass here. What a gas! It is possible to use the MIDI alone or combine MIDI with the magnetic and piezo tones.
This example is truly a full blown version of this model. The inlay is called “Ray of Light”. If this is a little rich for your blood, I understand. A standard Barcelona VI without MIDI.
The Barcelona is a unique instrument. You have to hear and play this instrument to fully appreciate the possibilities.