Chuck Thornton has been making instruments for over 30 years.
Electric guitars and basses , acoustic guitars, jazz boxes, and even violins. Quite an impressive resume.
He and I first “met” in 1994-5 when I started Luthiers Access Group. Back in the days of fax and snail mail .
Now, some 25 years later , we are finally hooking up. I had never played one of his basses , I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that he was a luthier for decades and must know what he is doing. This first bass has confirmed what I suspected.
Enough opinion, it is time for the facts.
- Swamp Ash body – 8lbs, 4oz
- 5A Western Maple top
- Torrefied Birdseye Maple neck , 34″ scale .1.93″ nut , 18mm string spacing at the bridge
- Pau Ferro fingerboard with oval MOP top markers , 22 Evo gold frets
- Nordstrand Big Split pickups
- Nordstrand 3 band preamp with active /passive option
- Hipshot A style bridge and Ultralight tuners
- Hand rubbed sunburst finish with matte urethane topcoat
- Access III hardshell case
I bet you have not played a Thornton bass. Maybe you are not familiar with this bass builder. Get familiar before you make your next bass purchase. Play this bass before you make a final decision. Talk to me to arrange your audition.