If you know me, you probably know of my particular interest in acoustic/electric basses, especially fretless basses of that ilk. This bass has me worked up. Where do I start? Well, the single magnetic pickup is perfectly located for my poor Jaco imitation – the tone is there, now I need to find some chops and musical ideas.
- The piezo bridge pickup (Schertler Bluestick) gives a great wooly and woody tone.
- Of course, the two pickups can be combined to find the flavor you seek.
- The bass can go active or passive, and has a separate passive tone control.
- The other controls are volume, blend and 3 band EQ. The preamp is also Aries’ own design.
- The body is Honduras Mahogany in a high gloss antique violin finish.
- In the tradition of fine acoustic instruments, the top is Spruce – a great choice, in my opinion.
- The 35″ scale neck is 5 piece, primarily Maple, with a Macassar.
- Ebony fretboard. The bridge is also Macassar Ebony.
- Note the Maple binding – pure class.
- Comes with a gig bag.